As I have now taken a full-time job I am no longer accepting new
consulting work, but will continue to support my existing clients.
Do you find yourself doing repetitive tasks that stop you doing
your real job; copying, pasting, importing text from other documents
but having to extensively reformat them before they are useful to
you? That's the work that we can help you with. Automating
repetitive work will directly benefit your business in a number of
- Time savings. Spend time analysing, and
using, the information rather than trying to tame it.
- Consistency. Processing can be done the
same way every time, and presented in the same format. That
makes you look more professional.
- Improved accuracy. Interruptions can make
you lose track, and cause errors. An automated spreadsheet or
database will virtually eliminate operator errors.
- Reduced training time. Which would you
prefer on a handover: "Here are the instructions. Each week you
go to this folder, open each file in turn, copy them into this
workbook over here, ..." or, "Open this workbook, click that
button on the first sheet, and press OK". Automation makes the
second option possible.
From minor changes to building systems from scratch, DataWright can build custom solutions for
your business. We specialise in Excel and Access but will help you
to integrate your information with Word and other Office
applications. We can also help you to link directly to other systems
within your business (for example, Cognos, TM1 or SQL Server), so that you always have the most up-to-date
information at your fingertips.
How we work
Before we begin, we will spend time with you to determine your
needs. We will then provide a quote with an estimate of the required
time and costs. Depending on your needs we will work off-site and liaise with you
during the course of development, or we can work on your
premises if that is suitable.
Some examples of our work
- Asset Management System
- An Excel and Access solution which integrated local data at a CSIRO site with information downloaded
from a corporate mainframe system.
- Training Database
- A multi-user Access solution which tracks all aspects of student bookings and reporting for a
training company. Recently added features include booking confirmations and
invoices that are printed as PDF files and attached to a new Outlook mail
- Maintenance reporting system
- Solution using Excel and Access to generate maintenance reports from a SAP system. The reports are
used to comply with maintenance auditing requirements for a large industrial site.
- Hazardous area equipment database
- A client in the petrochemical industry needed a system for tracking maintenance of electrical
equipment in hazardous areas of their site. We built an Access database solution that tracks maintenance
data and generates all of the required inspection forms and reports. Users are automatically validated
by the system, and users with administration privileges can modify user or group permissions through
an easy-to-use interface.
- Childcare administration system
- A childcare organisation needed a system for tracking enrolments of
children in day care centres and kindergartens across inner western and
southern Sydney. We built an Access database which handles all aspects
of the enrolment and reporting process.
- Materials handling model
- A manufacturing client needed to know peak production requirements for a semi-automated product
picking system using several production lines. We used production and truck loading data to model the
flow down each of the lines, and determine the amount of storage space required for the picking system.
- Logistics analysis
- A dairy corporation wanted to optimise its product distribution and reduce inefficiencies in the
ordering process. We created a spreadsheet system which summarised the data and provided a breakdown
for each supermarket in the distribution scheme.
- A second system uses the production schedules to forecast when trailers
will be ready for dispatch. The spreadsheet uses filling rates from each of
the production lines, combined with orders from the distribution centres.
Users can vary the packing order to get real-time feedback on their dispatch
- Financial forecasting model
- A client wanted a spreadsheet model for forecasting cash flow and P&L for
several business units in the same division. We built a system consisting of
multiple spreadsheets and a centralised Access database which not only improved the accuracy of the
forecasts and reduced the analysis time, but also provided a semi-automated
method for uploading the modelled information up to the corporate system. In
addition, the system provides the client with the capability to directly
compare any two forecasting cycles.
- Data migration
- DataWright is currently helping a client implement a new GL and
reporting system. We have designed a number of databases and spreadsheets
that extract data from the old system, re-map it to the new chart of
accounts and company structure, and validate the data transfer.
- Invoicing for freight and distribution
- A freight company needed to update an Excel spreadsheet that was used
for invoicing its client for hire and freight charges. Previously, each
week's invoicing was stored as a separate file, making such analyses
tedious. We built an Access database to handle all aspects of the invoicing process, including GST and
labour charges, standardised freight rates, fuel charges, and allocation of
charges to the appropriate cost centres. An added advantage of the system is
the ability to gather large datasets for creation of quarterly, semi-annual
and annual summaries.
- Work scheduling
- A pharmaceutical company needed a system for scheduling tasks in its
vaccine production facility. We built a multi-user Access database that runs over
their wireless network and allows users to schedule, assign and track their
production processes. The system also generates scheduling and audit
If you would like us to help you,
contact us to arrange a meeting and a free, no obligation quote.